What achievements and contributions from the ancient world shape our world's culture today? Hint: food, fire, architecture, clothing What makes a civilization? Join Teacher Thereasa in this 5 part series of lessons to build your ancient civilization vocabulary in Minecraft.
Lesson One: Paleolithic Vocabulary BuilderCreate a scene from the ancient civilization of the Paleolithic Age to Ancient Mesopotamia, Egypt, and Greece building background knowledge while reading complex text and learning new tier II vocabulary words. Document and record your building and learning journey with Book and Quill. (The Cameras and Pictures tutorial is recommended before you start building). Finally, master your new vocabulary taking the quiz. Then rebuild, reread, and learn again if needed. Write a creative story based on your favorite book as a conclusion using "100 Words Every Middle Schooler Should Know". "Ancient Civilization" problem solver including the Paleolithic Age, Neolithic Age, Ancient Rome, India, and Greece will challenge you further to solve real-world problems in a collaborative context.
Next Generation Standards Covered:6L6: Acquire and accurately use general academic and content-specific words and phrases; apply vocabulary knowledge when considering a word or phrase important to comprehension or expression. 6W5: Draw evidence from literary or informational texts to support analysis, reflection, and research. Apply the grade 6 Reading Standards to both literary and informational text, where applicable. 6W4: Create a poem, story, play, artwork, or other response to a text, author, theme, or personal experience.
Prerequisite Tutorial: Cameras and Pictures Tutorial:https://edumee.sharepoint.com/:u:/s/EduMEETeachers52-TheresaYankovoyP1/ET4dZM1gvCxMsh7vsEE1CsoBYZ4tloOueQj1P6MBMZ26kg?e=ZGehNU
Learning objectiveAt the conclusion of this activity, participants will have acquired and be able to accurately use grade appropriate general academic and domain specific words and phrases as well as gather vocabulary knowledge when considering a word or phrase important to comprehension or expression while building knowledge about the achievements and contributions of the early river valley civilizations and Ancient Greece by reading grade level academic text.
Student activities for the series
- Students will speak to NPCs for directions to visit links to PowerPoints, reading materials, and videos.
- Students can choose to schedule a live reading time with the teacher, or read independently.
- Students will follow gather materials from the chest and add any additional inventory.
- Students will independently learn the new vocabulary words by reading the chalkboards and revisiting the PowerPoints and reading passage.
- Students will create a scene from the ancient world using the newly acquired vocabulary words and document their learning adventure taking pictures and using the Book and Quill.
- Students will take the quiz as a summative assessment and leave their completed book on a lectern for their formative assessment.
- Critical thinking
- Social and interpersonal skills
- Computer skills (P21, 2016)