This class will meet Thursdays from 1pm-3pm EST. September 30th. Students will u3 / 2309/30/2109/30/21
This class will meet Thursdays from 1pm-3pm EST. September 23rd. Students will u3 / 2309/23/2109/23/21
This class will meet Thursdays from 1pm-3pm EST. September 16th. Students will u3 / 2309/16/2109/16/21
- Understand that natural and synthetic objects are all made of elements.
- Gather information about the elemental composition of Minecraft blocks.
- Understand that synthetic materials and chemicals can be made from natural resources.
- Be aware that some elements are much more common than others.
- MS-PS1-1. Develop models to describe the atomic composition of simple molecules and extended structures.
Guiding ideasLesson 4 All natural and synthetic materials are composed of chemicals, be they elements, molecules or compounds. Many materials have similar elemental compositions but different properties. For example most stone-like materials are composed of silicon and oxygen. Whilst living things are largely carbon, oxygen, nitrogen and hydrogen. The material reducer is similar to real word instruments used to measure the elemental composition of materials.
Student ActivitiesStudents collect materials (blocks) from the world around them and analyse them, to find their elemental composition, using the material reducer. Students can categorize the materials (blocks) based on their elemental composition and then discuss what types of materials have similar compositions and why. For example students may wish to discuss why coal, which looks like a stone has the same composition as wood. Students can try and construct new compounds and materials made from the sourced from the 'natural' materials.
Performance ExpectationsWhat materials have similar elemental compositions and why? What can be constructed from natural materials and what can they be used for? What materials are common in nature?
- Critical thinking
- Locate Your EduMEE Email Account Information Unlimited
- Download and Sign into M:EE Unlimited
- Open MS Teams and find your Class meeting link Unlimited
- Joining An EduMEE Class Meeting in Teams Unlimited
- Ensure your camera and microphone work properly Unlimited
- Check other Features on Your EduMEE App Unlimited
- Material Reducer with Caitlin Eyvaz: Thursday 1pm-3pm EST Sept 9th Unlimited
- Material Reducer with Caitlin Eyvaz: Thursday 1pm-3pm EST Sept 16th Unlimited
- Material Reducer with Caitlin Eyvaz: Thursday 1pm-3pm EST Sept 23rd Unlimited
- Material Reducer with Caitlin Eyvaz: Thursday 1pm-3pm EST Sept 30th Unlimited
Caitlin Alice Sullivan Eyvaz
My name is Caitlin, and most of my teaching experience has been at international schools. I taught in France, Turkey, Turkmenistan, and Bosnia and Herzegovina. I love teaching, hiking, and traveling.