This class will meet on Thursday from 11am to 1pm Sept 9. Students will be able5 / 3109/09/2109/09/21
This class will meet on Thursday from 11am to 1pm on Sept 16. Students will be a5 / 3209/16/2109/16/21
Students will be able to build math skills in Minecraft, and learn how to round numbers to the nearest 10 and 100. Game/Play Project-Based STEM Online Minecraft courses
Common Core StandardsNGS.Math.Content.3.NBT.1 Use place value understanding to round whole numbers to the nearest 10 or 100
Guiding IdeasBrainstorm any thoughts and observations about the math models. Use the students’ brainstorm comments to get them to understand the idea of rounding between place values. Once the students have made a connection of regrouping between rounding between place values, unveil the Big Idea. Rounding numbers make them easier to work with.
- Students will enter the Minecraft World as a single player and solve the eight rounding problems by regrouping the math models. Students will be in survival mode and will be able to fly. Always place with a diamond block so the code can read if you got it correct.
- Have students use the red lines as a scaffold to tell to round up or down. The lines are at 5 and 10. If the place value to the left is on or past the 5 line, round up; if it’s below the line, round down.
- Set up your classrooms with a few quiet areas to record video; sometimes the hallway can work if you have an active class.
- Give students the video production sheet to help organize their thoughts and ideas.
- Then have the students go back into their world and build their sets
- Film your Video
How to Make a Video:
- Build the problem, set, and place your NPC.
- Push the “Windows+G” buttons on your keyboard then the record button.
- Tell the story and solve the problem.
- Sign off!
- What are some situations where rounding is useful?
- What are some situations where rounding is not so good?
- How does rounding make math easier?
Depth of Knowledge 41) The student was able to produce a video that shows a situation where rounding numbers would be useful. 2) The student was able to round numbers to the nearest 10s and 100s place value with math models. 3) The student was able to critique and analyze the work of others. 4) The student was able to explain the pros and cons of rounding.
Depth of Knowledge 3The student was able to do three out of four listed above. Depth of Knowledge 2 The student was able to do two out of four listed above. Depth of Knowledge 1 The student was able to do one out of four listed above.
- Critical Thinking
External Referenceshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfDBEuZJxXY Course Page
- Locate Your EduMEE Email Account Information Unlimited
- Download and Sign into M:EE Unlimited
- Open MS Teams and find your Class meeting link Unlimited
- Joining An EduMEE Class Meeting in Teams Play 00:00 -00:48 Unmute Settings Enter fullscreen Unlimited
- Ensure your camera and microphone work properly Unlimited
- Check other Features on Your EduMEE App Unlimited
- Roll & Round with Demetrielle Washington Thursday 11am-1pm CST Sept 16th Unlimited
I am Demetrielle Washington; a teacher, a mother, a lover, a leader, and an innovator. I enjoy overcoming challenges through creativity to instruct and reach diverse learners. I have taught students of all ages, ranging from toddlers to adults. The most rewarding part of educating is when students apply what I’ve taught them to real-life and relevant situations. I believe that the goal of learning is to utilize the information in a meaningful context that inspires the learner to develop. I believe that I’ve had an adventurous teaching journey. I have had a passion for teaching since I was a child. I was always eager to play school with anyone who’d listen to me, especially my dolls, stuffed animals, and action figures! After assisting in a daycare as a young teacher, I mentored as a camp counselor for high school students during a science program at my alma mater, McNeese State University. I earned my BA in Elementary Education and am certified to teach in multiple states across the US. I have experience teaching and leading elementary kids, special learners, and adolescents through student-centered learning approaches. I’ve had the honor of being on the forefront of the technological transition by presenting digital showcases to fellow educators and parents. I also provide intimate and engaging instruction through private and small group tutoring. Upon gaining experience as a teacher, I continued my journey of expanding my knowledge. I earned my MEd in Instructional Leadership with a concentration in Curriculum & Instruction from Sam Houston State University. The challenge provided me skills of resourcefulness and determination. Throughout my career and experiences of teaching and learning, I’ve collaborated professionally and informally to provide support and ignite learning within others. My desire to leave a positive impact on the world has encouraged me to pursue my Doctorate degree in Physiology with Integrated Education, Technology, and Psychology. It is my goal to create innovative learning experiences that encourage and inspire students to explore and contribute to the world around them.