Learn Economics with Jake Compton:
What Will I Learn?
While joining other classmates to build an epic house in Minecraft, you will be applying the use of productive resources.
You will basically use Minecraft to learn important concepts of economics.
Guiding Ideas for Learn Economics
- Productive Resources
- Capital Resources
- Human Resources
- Natural Resources
- Voluntary National Content Standards in Economics: Standard 1 – Scarcity. Productive resources are limited. Therefore, people cannot have all the goods and services they want; as a result, they must choose some things and give up others.
- C3 Framework: D2.Eco.3.3-5 Identify examples of the variety of resources (human, capital, physical capital, and natural resources) that are used to produce goods and services.
- Next Generation Standards.ELA-Literacy.4W2: —Write informative/explanatory texts to explore a topic and convey ideas and information relevant to the subject.
Understanding productive resources is important to understanding the economic world around us. Basically, productive resources are those things required to produce goods and services that people want. There are three kinds of productive resources (resources ): human, natural, and capital.
- Human resources are the strength, education, and skills of people.
- Natural resources are the gifts of nature that are used to produce goods and services. Water, land, and minerals are examples of natural resources.
- Capital resources are the goods needed to produce or provide access to other goods and to supply services. Examples include buildings, equipment, tools, machinery, ports, and other manufactured and constructed things.
The Minecraft activity will take up the bulk of the time. Ultimately, you will define and analyze your use of different resources while building a home within Minecraft.
The student should be able to:
- Reflect on the uses of productive resources in their team project
Student Activities in Learn Economics
Firstly, you will discuss with your fellow learners the different resources that are needed to build a house. Additionally, your teacher will go over some definitions of economic resources that are available. Thirdly, you and your classmates will build an epic house using many of the resources you learned about.
- 8 – 10 years old
- Critical thinking
- Windows PC, Mac, Chromebook, or iPad
- Access to Minecraft Education Edition (included FREE with enrollment)