Subtraction with Sarah McGough:
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT 4.NBT.B.4 Fluently add and subtract multi-digit whole numbers using the standard algorithm.
Materials: Headphones with mics, Math notebooks and pencils (colored pencils and graph paper are good for this too) Whiteboard and markers Begin the class with a discussion leading around these questions:
1) What is regrouping?
2) How does regrouping work with addition?
a) Do an addition problem or two with them using the standard algorithm
3) In addition we regroup forward, is it possible to regroup backwards?
4) Can I trade one $10 bill in for ten $1 bills? Next Unveil the big idea:
To begin, show and explain a 3 digit subtraction problem that uses the standard regrouping algorithm and have students load the attached single player Minecraft world focused around Subtraction.
- Students will load the attached Subtraction world, watch instructional videos and build three problems in Minecraft.
- Students are encouraged to co-teach and share their knowledge with one another.
- Students will document their work in portfolios.
The student did all of the following:
1) The student was able to build, regroup, and solve three base 10 subtraction math model.
2) The student was able to make a video of themselves solving the problem with regrouping.
3) The student was able to write the standard algorithm along with their models.
- Critical thinking