- Students will work together to create a Minecraft world together to mimic their own community, neighborhood, or state.
- Students will recognize aspects of working in a virtual group and begin practicing their cooperative group skills.
Mini-Lesson (whole class) :
- Brainstorm characteristics of our community (ie: landmarks, places to go, things to do, general geography, etc.)
- Introduce features and benefits of positive group work
- Hook with https://youtu.be/w9j3-ghRjBs a video montage of various benefits to working in groups
- Alternatively, hook with https://youtu.be/DvVEeoKrm48, a video from “Despicable Me” showing what can happen with and without teamwork
Cooperative group activity choices
- Option One: Develop one classroom Minecraft community or neighborhood on the same world; Students individually contribute and create anywhere in the virtual community
- Option Two: Develop 4-5 small neighborhoods connected to each other in a Minecraft world; Students work in small groups to create their section of the neighborhood togetherIn a new creative world, students will begin to develop the places they know about in their own community (ie: Fire Station, grocery store, park, etc.)
Students will practice their cooperative group skills both in the classroom and virtually in the Minecraft community
• Alternatively, begin with a small walking tour of the neighborhood, or school. Students can make observations (written or picture) on paper about what they see.
• Create a different, known community, such as another country, or historic place.
• Read “The Little House” by Virginia Lee Burton, 1942. Discus different types of communities, such as rural and urban. Students can make observations about how communities can change. Connect back to Minecraft community and discuss how changes may happen to that world as well.
Evidence of Learning :
- Screenshots or screencast of Minecraft community
- Written (or verbal) reflection of learningMake a T-Chart showing the differences and similarities between working in groups in the classroom and working in virtual groups
What worked well when trying to build our community?
- What worked well when trying to build our community?
- What were the challenges in building our community?
- What do you wish you could change about our Minecraft community?
- What do you wish you could change about our own community?
- Make a T Chart showing the advantages and disadvantages of working in a group
- Make a T Chart showing the differences and similarities between this Minecraft community and our community or neighborhood.
- Critical thinking