Students study lines and angles and use them to design a facade of a building. Game/Play NGSS Minecraft Online courses STEM
Common Core Standards:
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.4.G.A.1 Draw points, lines, line segments, rays, angles (right, acute, obtuse), and perpendicular and parallel lines. Identify these in two-dimensional figures.
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.4.MD.C.5 Recognize angles as geometric shapes that are formed wherever two rays share a common endpoint, and understand concepts of angle measurement.
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.4.G.A.2 Classify two-dimensional figures based on the presence or absence of parallel or perpendicular lines, or the presence or absence of angles of a specified size. Recognize right triangles as a category, and identify right triangles.
1) How can we define lines?
2) How can we measure angles?
3) How can we use lines and angles to build great things?
To begin, students load the lesson Minecraft world file.
Students will all enter the game world in creative world and talk to the NPCs. The NPCs will give information and videos on how build lines and angles in Minecraft. After students watch the videos they should study the models and build their models. Next have them take pictures and document their work in their portfolio.
- Step 1 Parallel Lines
- Step 2 Perpendicular Lines
- Step 3 Acute Angles
- Step 4 Obtuse Angles
- Step 5 Building a Facade
In this section students will build a facade using that will have at least one parallel line, perpendicular line, acute angle, and obtuse angle. They will label these two dimensional shapes on a slate and document their work in their portfolio.
1) The student was able to identify, label, and explain perpendicular lines, parallel lines, acute angles, and obtuse angles
2) The student was able to use their knowledge of lines and angles to build facades for buildings
3) The student was able to use right angles to determine whether angles are equal to, greater than, or less than right angles.
- Critical Thinking