Break down arrays and rebuild them in groups of equal numbers to understand how number families are the key to the multiplication and division. Game/Play NGSS Online Minecraft Project-Based courses
Upon completion of this lesson, students will be able to:
- Destroy and construct colored concrete blocks in Minecraft to complete a multiplication facts chart within the whole number product 100.
- describe strategies they use to finish the chart using Minecraft’s quill and book feature
- provide a written reflect on difficulties encountered during creation of facts chart, and what strategies were used to overcome those struggles.
- Use basic navigation and building tools within Minecraft.
- Use NPC and instructor resources to identify helpful multiplication strategies (commutative, identity, zero, associative, and distributive properties).
Next Generation Standards
Social Studies/ United States Government:
- NGS.SS.3.5.1 The study of civics, citizenship, and government involves learning about political systems; the purpose of government and civic life; and the differing assumptions held by people across time and place regarding power, authority, governance, and law.
- NGS.SS.3.5.3 Central to civics and citizenship is an understanding of the roles of the citizen within American constitutional democracy and the scope of a citizen’s rights and responsibilities.
English Language Arts:
- 3R1: Develop and answer questions to locate relevant and specific details in a text to support an answer or inference.
- 3R4: Determine the meaning of words, phrases, figurative language, and academic and content-specific words.
- 3RF3b: Decoding multi-sylabic words.
- 3SL1: Participate and engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions with diverse peers and adults, expressing ideas clearly, and building on those of others.
- 3SL1a: Come to discussions having read or studied required material; draw on that preparation and other information known about the topic to explore ideas under discussion.
- 3SL1e: Consider individual differences when communicating with others.
- 3SL4: Report on a topic or text, tell a story, or recount an experience with appropriate facts and relevant, descriptive details, speaking clearly at an understandable pace.
- 3SL5: Include digital media and/or visual displays in presentations to emphasize certain facts or details.
- Which facts did you find the easiest to solve?
- Why were these facts so easy for you? Which strategy did you use?
- Which facts did you find more difficult to solve?
- Why were these facts more difficult to solve? Of the 5 strategies learned in this activity, which was the most helpful? Why?
- Solve multiplication facts within 100
- Strategizing the 5 multiplication properties
- Problem solving