- Students will identify elements of setting in multiple examples of published text.
- Students will create a Minecraft world, or an area within the world, that includes specific elements for the setting in a story.
- Students will develop a written story that utilizes their Minecraft world appropriately as the setting.
Next Generation Standards
- 1R3: Describe characters, settings, and major events in a story, or pieces of information in a text. (RI&RL)
- 1R7: Use illustrations and details in literary and informational texts to discuss story elements and/or topics. (RI&RL)
- 2R7: Demonstrate understanding of story elements and/or topics by applying information gained from illustrations or text features. (RI&RL)
- 3R7: Explain how specific illustrations or text features contribute to what is conveyed by the words in a text (e.g., create mood, emphasize character or setting, or determine where, when, why, and how key events occur). (RI&RL)
- 4R3: In literary texts, describe a character, setting, or event, drawing on specific details in the text. (RL)
- 4R7: Identify information presented visually, orally, or quantitatively (e.g., in charts, graphs, diagrams, timelines, animations, illustrations,
- 5R3: In literary texts, compare and contrast two or more characters, settings, and events, drawing on specific details in the text. (RL)
- 5W5: Draw evidence from literary or informational texts to respond and support analysis, reflection, and research by applying the Grade 5 Reading Standards.
• Screenshots or screencast of world • Written story or detailed description • Class discussion or individual written reflection of learning o Make a T-Chart for what elements of setting were easy and difficult to incorporate in the Minecraft world. o Make a T-Chart for what elements of setting were easy and difficult to incorporate in the written story or description. o Allow students to reflect upon how detailed elements of setting can enhance writing. Allow time for students to share favorite parts of their story or description with each other.